How to sign up for Health Insurance Using a Health Insurance Exchange
Here is an easy to read list to find out whether you need to do anything regarding Health Insurance Exchanges:
- Do you already have health insurance through your employer? If you have a job-based health insurance that you like, you can keep it. You’re considered covered. You may be able to change to Exchange coverage if you want to. Find out what your state offers here.
- Are you on Medicare? Under the ACA, your existing Medicare-covered benefits will not be reduced or taken away. You also will continue to be able to choose your own doctor. Read more….
- Are you on Medicaid? The Affordable Care Act fills gaps in coverage for the poorest Americans by creating a minimum Medicaid income eligibility level across the country. Read more….
- Do you receive VA health benefits? Veterans who receive healthcare coverage through the VA do not have to buy any extra coverage to satisfy the January 1, 2014 requirement that they have health insurance. They can, however, sign up for coverage on a state exchange to supplement their VA coverage. Read more….
- Are you self-employed? Learn what your options are from the official U.S. government website. Read more….
- Are you a small business owner? Learn what the Affordable Care Act means to you and your business. Read more…..
- Are you a citizen? Only U.S. citizens and legal immigrants will be eligible to purchase a health plan in one of the exchanges.
Whether or not you already have health insurance, the first step is to find out if your State has a health insurance exchange See whether your State has an exchange.
If you already have an individual insurance plan and want to change it, you can use the Marketplace to read about your options and enroll in a new health insurance exchange plan.
Find out about how the new law affects you and your State ....read more
Federal Health Insurance Exchange Sign Up – Open enrollment begins October 1, 2013.
The Health Insurance Marketplace will help you get coverage that meets your needs and fits your budget. Get ready now by answering a few quick questions on the US Government website to learn if you qualify for lower costs.
Get health insurance for employees using The Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP), a new way to buy health insurance. See the US Government website to learn what you need to know.
Where to sign up for a Health Insurance Exchange – State Exchange or Federal Exchange?
Some states will have insurance exchanges where consumers can find guaranteed access to health insurance. October 1, 2013 begins signups for all coverage starting January 2014. The State health insurance exchanges are the most important feature of the new Affordable Care Act, enacted to help uninsured people get health insurance coverage starting in 2014. All State exchanges should be operating by October 1, 2013 so consumers can enroll in their plans for 2014. Click here to see if your state has an insurance exchange website.
Some states have decided NOT to set up their OWN insurance exchanges, so in those cases, the Federal Government is doing it for them. There are two other groups setting up exchanges; one is a partnership with the federal government and the other is building their own insurance exchange. Click here to see if your state has a partnership insurance exchange.
Overall, the biggest problem is that most Americans do not fully understand the Affordable Care Act at all. Insurance is confusing enough, and insurance exchanges through the Affordable Care Act just make everything even more murky.
Since most of the exchanges will require signing up online, it is important that consumers realize their options and try to determine which plans are best for them. It is very important that consumers compare their plans based on the monthly premium, doctors’ office co-payments, prescriptions and ensuring that your regular doctor is included in the health insurer’s network.
Unfortunately, consumer education has not been forthcoming from the federal government until very recently…. just months before the launch of the insurance exchanges themselves in October 2013. Since few communication efforts have been made to date, Insurance Exchange List.com is here to help consumers by listing some basic information and providing a one-stop place for people to find links to all types of information sources to help them make a decision about their healthcare.
Sign up below to receive updates about health insurance exchanges as they become available.