Health Insurance Choices Will Depend Upon Where You Live
Florida residents will purchase health insurance through the U.S. Government’s exchange, since Florida does not have its own insurance exchange. There are 10 insurance companies which have already received federal approval to sell health insurance plans to Floridians on the government’s health insurance exchange starting October 1….. BUT, not all of the companies on that list will be selling insurance in all counties.
Over half of Florida’s 67 counties will have the choice of only one or two insurance plans. There is no Florida county which will offer plans from all 10 of the companies.
Here is a breakdown of some Florida counties with the most choice, and the number of insurance companies they can choose from:
9 Broward, Miami-Dade
8 Palm Beach
6 Seminole, Volusia
5 Orange, Osceola, Lake
The new plans will be priced differently and called Bronze (plan with the least benefits), Silver, Gold, Platinum (plan with the most benefits).
The health insurance exchange marketplace will benefit those who cannot obtain health insurance from Medicare or through work. All plans will take effect January 1, 2014.
Within the State of Florida, these are the ten plans which will be available, depending upon where you live:
- Aetna Life Insurance
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida (the only insurer which will sell plans in all 67 Florida counties). In 21 Florida counties, they will be the ONLY seller of health insurance under the exchanges)
- Cigna Health and Life Insurance
- Coventry Health Care of Florida, Inc.
- Florida Health Care Plan Inc.
- Health First Health Plans
- Health First Insurance Co.
- Health Options Inc.
- Humana Medical Plan Inc.
- Molina Healthcare of Florida Inc.
There is no information yet about what individual plans will offer and what they will cost.